Monday, August 20, 2012

SPF "From the Heart" Series Interview with Joan Penfold, Melanoma and Lupus Survivor

Here at SPF, we have a history with skin cancer, skin diseases and disorders. SPF was founded on finding a solution to help with the daily struggles of coping with sun exposure, including skin cancer. All the staff at SPF agrees that sharing stories, raising awareness, and engaging in dialog, is the best form of education in the prevention and treatment of skin cancer, lupus, skin diseases and disorders. It allows those who deal with skin ailments to share their personal experience, offer advice, and most of all provide some comfort in knowing that you're not alone! So, we've started a new series called "From the Heart", and we're pleased to feature such a vibrant survivor of skin cancer and lupus. 


SPF Presents our new
 
"From the Heart" Interview Series

Featuring Joan Penfold, - Skin Cancer & Lupus Survivor -


Joan Penfold, Skin Cancer & Lupus Survivor
www.joanandriahsreviews.com

Q: Would you tell our readers a little bit about yourself?

A: I am a 50 year old Mom with 2 grown kids and a great husband (most days anyway!) We also have our 4 legged friend Freddi, a big eyed Basset. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia. I went with my husband to his check and knew I had an area on my back that concerned me.It had started as a regular looking mole, but had became darker, raised, changed size, looked suscpicious and started to itch.
 
Q: You are a skin cancer survivor, let’s talk about your experience. When were you diagnosed? What symptoms made you finally decide it was time to see a doctor?

A: At this point I made the decision. It was convenient, as I would be there with my husband anyway, so I set up the appointment to see the dermatologist/anesthesiologist.  Of course, when you start thinking of areas of concern, more and more come in to your mind. I recommend you start writing a diary so you have a list of the spots. I started with the dime sized area in the middle of my back, that spot was taken out and was dime sized, not round and raised. It was removed along with several other areas, I had another  small area removed from my face and left temple. From there, another appointment was made to come back a week later.  When I returned for my follow up in a week, the doctor came in the room, and sat down next to me, my heart started racing. First he said I had a basal cell carcinoma on my left temple and on my face, but that was all taken care of and nothing to worry back. Next, he got a serious look on his face, and said I had a large quarter-sized Malignant Melanoma on my back, and that was the worst kind to get. I really had to keep track of my skin, and in the meantime, they did not get all the margins. The pathologist informed me he needed to take more off. He numbed the area and removed the so-called margins and the pathologist had to look again. More skin cancer areas were removed one last time, and finally they let me know they had gotten it all.  Ahh, I breathed a sigh of relief, as my father had many skin cancers, and I recall his nose was half cut off.  I did not take care of my skin until then, but I do now!

Q:How did you feel when you were told you had skin cancer?

A:  I was horrified. I started thinking of chemotherapy and the changes I would have to make in my lifestyle.  Besides the skin cancer, exposure to sun is a “No, No” so I was up a creek without a paddle.  I have to wear sun screen when out of the house, hats, sunglasses, long sleeve and long pants, even in the summer.  I FELT LIKE my life was over.  
 
Q: What treatments were you given? Can you explain to our readers what they were like and how long they lasted?

A:  Just yearly checks, and again I had positive biopsy on same area of back, so I pay close attention to my skin. I also have a lot more areas that appear suspicious at this point so I am nervous about what is down the road.
 
Q: How did your life change as a result of having skin cancer?

A:  I cannot do the outside things like para-sailing and deep sea fishing. I have a pool and use mostly at night for comfort and exercise, but so fatigued do not enjoy it.
 
Q:What is your prognosis now with skin cancer? What did your doctor suggest as the most important precautions you should take to prevent it from re-occurring?

A:  Prognosis is most likely recurrence.  The most important precautions I was informed to take was to protect my skin from the sun by using sun screen, keeping my skin covered up outside, and I was encouraged to stay out of the sun.
 
Q: You are a Lupus survivor as well, explain to our readers exactly what Lupus is and how it affects your daily life.

A:  I have SLE, systemic Lupus, and per" everydayhealth.com "  I suffer from all of these, and different organs get attacked from my brain, to lungs, to vascularitis
·          Painful joints
·          Fevers
·          Rashes caused by sun exposure
·          Hair loss
·          Loss of circulation in toes or fingers
·          Swelling in the legs
·          Ulcers inside the mouth
·          Swollen glands
·          Extreme tiredness
 
Q: What happens when you are exposed to the sun having Lupus?

A:  Exposure to the sun causes what is called a “Lupus Rash”. Fatigue and joint pain are other symptoms. Lupus symptoms can come and go, and are called “flares”. There are quiet periods where the symptoms aren’t as active and other times there is increased activity of the disease. Sun exposure can cause these flares.
 
 
Q: What is your opinion about the SPF apparel you have used?

A:  First, it’s important that the clothing is rated properly with UPF ratings. I have had several skin cancers and types of skin cancers removed. The scariest is the several Malignant Melanomas removed from my ear, it seems every year now, around the same area. This being the worst skin cancer you can have that can spread and actually kills approximately 8800 people in the U.S. annually. I do not want to be in that count. So when I learned about the SPF Store I did the happy dance! They not only have fashionable UV protective clothing, but they also have many accessories for sale like sun protective hats, sun glasses, sweatshirts, swim wear, and carry an organic line of shirts. AND SPF has been around since 1989, they are still growing, listening and are involved in raising awareness. I have to say my shirt is nice and soft, extremely well made, and SOOO comfy!

Q:  What is your opinion of sun protective clothing in general? 

A:   The most important factor to me is that they are rated properly. I have come across SPF ratings, which I know SPF ratings are designed for sun screen applications, not for apparel.

Q: As a survivor, it’s important to know your thoughts and opinions. Is there anything you would like to communicate to our readers that you feel is vital for them to know. 

A: As a survivor, it’s important to know your thoughts and opinions. Is there anything you would like to communicate to our readers that you feel is vital for them to know.

Absolutely. First and foremost is to NOT have to be a survivor of those 3 little words, "You've got cancer" but taking the necessary precautions and not getting skin cancer. Follow the guidelines outlined by the Skin Cancer Foundation and also if you have kids, protect them as well. Start at a young age. SUNSCREEN often, Cover up, wear hats and sunglasses, etc.

Secondly, GET CHECKED YEARLY. I cannot stress this enough. Check your own skin monthly and see a doctor yearly for a skin cancer check, sooner if you find something suspicious. Make the checks a game with your hubby or S.O. monthly not just for skin cancer, but for the gals, add in the breast cancer checks at the same time.


Finally, be your own advocate and teach others. When you take a minute to teach someone else about skin cancer, you are more likely to take care of yourself as necessary! When you tell someone how frightening it is to hear those words it may hit home for them. You never know, you may save a life, perhaps your own!





1 comment:

  1. Greetings, This interview is INFORMATIVE and it has ENLIGHTENED me on some things I take for grated about my health.

    I really hope others take a moment to read about your experience and be educated about the warning signs of skin cancer, the importance of an annual check-up and how to protect themselves during outdoor activities.

    Joan, thank you for sharing your story. xoxo

    Lukeither Willingham
    @AtlantaBizWomen
    http://www.lukeithermd.com

    ReplyDelete